Catalan-style cannelloni is a typical dish in Barcelona that locals love to eat at Christmas time. Catalan people call them ‘Canelons’. The secret of its recipe: Is made by filling rectangular sheets of pasta with meat, fish, or vegetables, rolling them up. Then, the best chefs cook them covering with béchamel sauce and gratinating them with cheese, and heat them in the oven for some minutes. Superb!
Catalan Cannelloni is eaten all year round in Barcelona, but the most typical occasion is Boxing Day (26th of December), taking advantage of the roast meat leftover from Christmas lunch. This plate is a little different from Italian cannelloni. Try both and discover which are the differences. Both are delicious, but my taste prefers ‘Canelons’, of course!
For me, these are the basic differences between Catalan and Italian cannelloni: here, in Barcelona, they are stuffed with roast meat, while there minced meat, mixed with a ‘sofregit‘ of tomatoes, is added directly.
Cannelloni made in Barcelona: ‘Canelons’
Well, I have to say that cannelloni is a relatively recent addition to Catalan cuisine. They were introduced by the Italian chefs of the Barcelona bourgeoisie at the end of the 19th century. From then on, they began to become very popular across the country and appear in cookery books.
Why do you have to eat them?
First, because they are delicious! Obviously. Besides, this pasta has the flavor of Barcelona and Christmas time, because of that any local good restaurant in town cook their special cannelloni for Christmas time. Meat, fish, seafood, veggie, or vegan, it has got many classes of cannelloni. Try them on! Don’t regret it!
Ingredients (4 people)
- 16 cannelloni wrappers
- 200 g pork loin
- 100 g veal
- 200 g chicken
- 2 chicken livers
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tomato
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Béchamel sauce
- grated cheese
- olive oil
- Boil the cannelloni wrappers in a pan with water, salt, and a drizzle of oil.
- Cool, spread on a cloth, and dry.
- Roast the meat seasoned with salt and pepper with the cinnamon, garlic, onion, and tomato.
- When half roasted, prepare a wine reduction. Stain the juice, remove the cinnamon stick, and put it through the mincer.
- Mix the mince with some béchamel sauce and spread over the cannelloni wrappers.
- Roll the cannelloni wrappers, place them on the buttered baking tray, coat with the béchamel, and put the grated cheese and some knobs of butter on top.
- Bake at 180ºC for 15 or 20 minutes to warm and brown.
- Add a drizzle of dry sherry when you cook the Béchamel sauce